Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Division of Labor

If the pre-trip tasks are any indication, and I am sure that they are, it is clear what is going on here. One of us is the worker bee, and one of us is the Queen. Guess which is which? While I (with the help of Big Al, of course) am spending my days making reservations, printing out confirmations, organizing the papers, rechecking the reservations, scouring the internet for ideas, calculating mileage, figuring out the budget, etc, etc, YD is watching TV. It's for the trip, she reminds, me, she is watching TPIR and studying up.

She tells me she has a good idea for our shirts, and describes it. It is good. Better than what I have come up with, which is zilch. Since crafty is not a word I would use to describe either of us, she tells me we need a special kind of paper that you can print things on from your computer printer, and then transfer them by ironing to a t-shirt. She tells me the images we need. Then she goes back down to the sofa and the TV.

I spend the next few hrs finding local stores that carry the paper, then driving out there to buy it, and the next day looking for the images. She leaves for the weekend to visit friends. I figure out how to invert the images (well, actually, I spend an hour trying unsuccessfully to do it myself, them ask my son, and he tells me how to do it in 5 seconds.), and then print them on the special paper. I am beyond proud of myself. YD returns home and tells me, good try, but she doesn't like that image. More hrs looking for images. I find one, I run it by her first before printing. She likes it. She leaves again to visit more friends. I print it out. She returns. Good try, she tells me, but it's too small. I am almost out of paper. I don't think I budgeted for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment